Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Toilet ... of Doom

I hate our toilet. Normally I'm sure people don't talk about this subject ... but I'm about to ... so here's your warning - if you don't wanna know, stop reading ...

Allow me to set the scene , so it's 3:30 in the morning ... I have a need, in my middle-of-the-night-still-half-asleep state, to use the restroom. I proceed out of our bedroom door and down the hall to our bathroom. I finish my very brief, but necessary, business and proceed to flush. (Which was, apparently, my first mistake ... note to self - don't flush anymore ... okay - so I can't do that, but you get the point.) It doesn't flush properly the first time and demands a second flush. This in and of itself is not all that strange or out of character for our toilet, so I flush again. Now, saving you the details, let's just say that there's a certain way that our toilet prefers to be flushed ... and so that is just what I did. (Mistake number two.) Suddenly, I am whipped out of my middle-of-the-night-still-half-asleep state by the sound of water hitting our bathroom floor. (I hate this stinking toilet.) Now, I feel it important to mention here that Tyler hasn't slept recently and so this evening (about 4 hours ago) he took a sleeping pill that requires 8 hours of sleep. So, I stand in the bathroom, now in a more middle-of-the-night-angry-I-have-to-wake-up state, in my jammies, plunging the toilet ... and all because 15 mins ago, I woke up and needed to twinkle. Very quickly I become aware of the fact that my feet are cold and wet ... grr ... so I begin throwing things that are normally on the floor of our bathroom into the halway or tub (depending on if I can tell if they're already wet or not). After very few moments of plunging (thankfully, for everyone/thing involved), the toilet flushes (now the third time I've had to flush). Okay ... move into clean up. Monday is my laundry day. However, last afternoon/evening we went down to Lima to see my Gramma who was having computer/printer issues. We have a good deal going with her ... we're her tech support and she feeds us for coming down to help - last night it was Fat Jack's Pizza ... mmm ... Now, while that may all seem nice and good, but not really a part of the story - here's the tie in ... I didn't finish the laundry Monday. Thankfully, I still had the load of kitchen and bath towels, socks, and grody t-shirts (we were painting and working on a house last week ...) left. However, it was late when we got home from Lima, and I was tired. So, I had just left a load in the dryer and one in the washer (not the towels, etc. load) and gone to bed. So, at 3:45 this morning, I pulled the clothes out of the dryer, put the wash load into the dryer, turned it on, and reloaded the washer with the towels, etc. load (now a bit more towel laden from drying the bathroom floor and toilet) and turned it on. Time to wash the floor. Ahh ... I see that we're out of Swiffer Wet Jet juice ... and I think to myself - $100, there's not a new bottle on the shelf with the other cleaning stuff ... thank heavens I was wrong ... I'm already so close to screaming here that a turn for the worse at this point would not be pretty. Okay ... so three moppings later our bathroom floor is clean again. However, out of a bit of fear, I have yet to put everything back where it normally lives on our bathroom floor. The other part of it is that the stuff that normally sits on the floor was in the water just a few moments ago and I don't really feel like washing it all right now ...
And so here I sit, at 4:10 in the morning ... cleaner bathroom floor, laundry running, staring at a new load that has to be done (the rug in the bathroom must now be bathed this week), and having to use the restroom again - but now debating if it's worth the possible clean up that may follow ...
But Iron Chef is on, so I'm happy ... I miss the original, not that I don't love watching Good Eats at 11, but I still miss Iron Chef. Tonight's battle - pineapple ... mmm ...
And Tyler has slept through all of the events of the last hour ... good ... he needs the rest ...

(edit ... as I was reading my final copy that posted to my blog, I noticed that the time stamp isn't right ... I have fussed with the thing so much and can't get it right ... so, if you can tell me how to fix it, that'd be much appreciated ... okay ...back to Iron Chef ...)

No comments: