Thursday, March 22, 2007

Switchfoot and Switch Plates

I find myself in a bit of a reflective mood today. And here is what I find myself reflecting upon (it's by Switchfoot) ...

Yesterday is a wrinkle on your forehead
Yesterday is a promise that you've broken
Don't close your eyes, don't close your eyes
This is your life and today is all you've got now
Yeah, and today is all you'll ever have
Don't close your eyes
Don't close your eyes

This is your life, are you who you want to be
This is your life, are you who you want to be
This is your life, is it everything you dreamed it would be
When the world was younger and you had everything to lose

Yesterday is a kid in the corner
Yesterday is dead and over

This is your life, are you who you want to be
This is your life, are you who you want to be
This is your life, is it everything you dreamed it would be
When the world was younger and you had everything to lose

Don't close your eyes
Don't close your eyes
Don't close your eyes
Don't close your eyes
Don't close your eyes

This is your life are you who you want to be
This is your life are you who you want to be, yeah

This is your life, are you who you want to be, who you want to be yeah
This is your life, are you who you want to be (who you want to be)
This is your life, is it everything you dreamed it would be
When the world was younger and you had everything to lose

And you had everything to lose

For those who aren't Switchfoot fans it's called This is Your Life. I loved this song. Mandy played it at JZ's funeral. I couldn't listen to it for a while. I can again ... and that makes me happy ... but that is beside the point and neither here nor there. The real reason I've been thinking about it lies here: Am I living like I want to live? For the most part - yes. I am happily married. I love taking care of my husband and our home. I enjoy one of my jobs ... I tolerate the other one :P. Tyler and I have wonderful friends. We enjoy our jOURney church. We are blessed. And yet there's a part of me wondering what it is that's not quite right. I find quite the call here to really live like today is it. I wonder how our lives and world would change if everyone honored today for what it is truly worth. Hmm ...

(And now, because I'm not so sure that deep reflection is working for me today ...)

On to the switch plates part of the title. It's spring. That means spring cleaning. I LOVE this time of year. I LOVE that I have the luxury of spending a large chunk of time cleaning our home and making it sparkle. Don't get me wrong. I do clean on a regular (read "weekly") basis. There's just something different about this time of year. The kitchen is gorgeous. I am so thrilled to have the inside of our appliances clean. (Yeah ... I know ... it's the simple - well dorky - things that please me.) The cupboards are clean ... inside and out. The bathroom is just as clean. Today's mission is: you guessed it - switch plates. No one ever thinks to clean where our dirty little fingers leave marks. Also on the list today - the insides of our washer and dryer need washed out, the furniture needs vacuumed, and the shower needs scrubbed down again (Tyler ran mop water for the floors in the bathtub after I cleaned it the first time ... oh well ... today's cleaning should be easier.), and I'm thinking that will probably be it in the time I have for today. Tomorrow I'll have more time.

And on a bit of a side note here: I don't understand why people freak out at the thought of sending your child to a friend's house when that friend has the chicken pox. That's what mom did to me ... I survived. Seriously - better to expose your child and get it out of the way when he's between like 4 and 9 than have him in college and ridiculously sick. Seriously people.

Okay ... on to switch plates ... :P

2 comments:

sarah cool said...

Nice post! I also love spring cleaning. It reminds me of home. :-) Opening all of the windows and doors, and cleaning up a storm!

Jenette said...

I'm with you on the whole chicken pox thing! :)

And cleaning, ah, cleaning. I'm up at 6.31 so I can clean my kitchen and do laundry and stuff before I head up to Toledo this afternoon!

Do you work tomorrow? I'm heading back to Cinci tomorrow afternoon, and I could always use a rest stop--- I'll have both kids with me--- including cute little Kara! :):)

And I love the song too. I sing it under my breath frequently.